Operations Director Position Available
We are seeking a special person for the new post of:
Operations Director at Brigit’s Garden
Brigit’s Garden is a unique and special place. This is an opportunity to join an innovative not-for-profit with a strong ethos, a friendly staff team, a loyal customer base and a supportive Board of Trustees.
We are looking for someone with the drive and commitment to develop the project and lead it into an exciting new phase. If that person is you we look forward to hearing from you!
Brigit’s Garden is a unique not-for profit organisation and a registered charity, CHY 15512, on a beautiful 11-acre site in Roscahill, Co. Galway offering a wide range of services in the areas of tourism, education and the environment.
Brigit’s Garden has a strong ethos that is reflected in our mission statement and values (see www.brigitsgarden.ie), the loyalty of our Members and supporters and the excellent feedback we receive from a wide range of customers.
Brigit’s Garden is run by a voluntary Board of Trustees and the current Director, Jenny Beale, who is also the Founder of the project. We opened to the public in 2004 and have grown and developed year on year. The current turnover is around €450K.
We have won a number of awards including the ‘Family-Friendly Destination of the Year’ 2017 from Georgina Campbell’s Ireland.
This is an exciting opportunity to play a leading role in a unique and innovative organisation and lead Brigit’s Garden into the next phase in its development.
The Operations Director will take over the management of all operational matters from the current Director. There will also be a strong developmental aspect to the job. The Operations Director will have scope to develop their own ideas and will also have a significant input into strategic planning. The person will report to the Board of Trustees and work closely with the Board to implement new ideas and developments.
The Operations Director will coordinate and take responsibility for a wide range of operations, within the context of the strategic plan, annual budgets and related targets:
- Developing the quality and profitability of the products and services at Brigit’s Garden:
- The visitor experience in the Celtic Gardens and Visitor Centre, & delivering excellent customer service
- The annual calendar of special events, workshops and festivals
- The operation of the Garden Café, and catering for groups, weddings, and parties
- The Gift Shop
- School and youth programmes, environmental education, and education for sustainability for all ages
- Opportunities for reflection and meditation; volunteering and community involvement
- Corporate events and room rentals
- Fund-raising and grant applications
- Managing financial systems and reporting, developing and achieving budgets. Working with the book-keeper and accountant; reporting to the Board of Trustees.
- Leading marketing and sales to deliver lively and innovative marketing and sales strategies for all income streams, including e-marketing and social media; B-to-B and B-to-C marketing and sales; PR and promotions; fund-raising through grant applications and from donors.
- Building community links and business partnerships.
- Leading the staff team. This currently includes employees and Community Employment personnel, with interns, students and volunteers, in the following areas: Office, reception & Gift Shop; Café; Education; Garden.
- Ensuring efficient administration and operation of procedures.
- Managing the maintenance of the Celtic Gardens, habitats and buildings, ensuring they are maintained to a high standard for visitors while fulfilling our aims around nature conservation and sustainability.
What qualities and experience are required?
We are looking for someone who is excited by this opportunity and by Brigit’s Garden, with a strong desire to see the project grow, expand and flourish. Brigit’s Garden needs someone with the experience and skills to grow the profitability of the project within the existing ethos, while leading and inspiring the staff team. Brigit’s Garden is very customer-focused with a loyal customer base, and the Operations Director will have a strong commitment to excellent customer service and to building the Brigit’s Garden community.
Applicants should demonstrate:
- Proven experience in management in a relevant business, including financial management and management of staff
- Ability to provide a high degree of leadership and communication in a team setting; to be supportive and caring of staff, volunteers and visitors
- An understanding of and interest in Brigit’s Garden and the environment
- Ability to think strategically as well as manage operational matters efficiently and profitably
- Achievement of targets and budgets
- Proven experience in marketing and sales
- Commitment to customer service and visitor satisfaction
- A high level of energy, enthusiasm, flexibility and patience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Understanding of the specific challenges of working in a not-for-profit organisation
- Understanding of statutory and charity compliance
What Qualifications are required?
Essential: a minimum of 5 years management experience in a relevant area.
Desirable: Qualifications in Business Management/ Sales/ Marketing.
What are the pay and conditions?
The remuneration package will consist of €45,000 plus an attractive target-related incentive scheme.
Application and appointment procedure
Please download and fill in this Application Form and email it to the Chairperson of the Board of Trustees at: email@example.com by 5 pm on Monday 13th November 2017. A shortlist of candidates will then be drawn up and interviews are provisionally scheduled to take place on 23rd/24th November 2017.