Operations Director Position Available
We are seeking a special person for the new post of:
Operations Director at Brigit’s Garden
Brigit’s Garden is a unique and special place. This is an opportunity to join an innovative not-for-profit with a strong ethos, a friendly staff team, a loyal customer base and a supportive Board of Trustees.
We are looking for someone with the drive and commitment to develop the project and lead it into an exciting new phase. If that person is you we look forward to hearing from you!
Brigit’s Garden is a unique not-for profit organisation and a registered charity, CHY 15512, on a beautiful 11-acre site in Roscahill, Co. Galway offering a wide range of services in the areas of tourism, education and the environment.
Brigit’s Garden has a strong ethos that is reflected in our mission statement and values (see www.brigitsgarden.ie), the loyalty of our Members and supporters and the excellent feedback we receive from a wide range of customers.
Brigit’s Garden is run by a voluntary Board of Trustees and the current Director, Jenny Beale, who is also the Founder of the project. We opened to the public in 2004 and have grown and developed year on year. The current turnover is around €450K.
We have won a number of awards including the ‘Family-Friendly Destination of the Year’ 2017 from Georgina Campbell’s Ireland.
This is an exciting opportunity to play a leading role in a unique and innovative organisation and lead Brigit’s Garden into the next phase in its development.
The Operations Director will take over the management of all operational matters from the current Director. There will also be a strong developmental aspect to the job. The Operations Director will have scope to develop their own ideas and will also have a significant input into strategic planning. The person will report to the Board of Trustees and work closely with the Board to implement new ideas and developments.
The Operations Director will coordinate and take responsibility for a wide range of operations, within the context of the strategic plan, annual budgets and related targets:
- Developing the quality and profitability of the products and services at Brigit’s Garden:
- The visitor experience in the Celtic Gardens and Visitor Centre, & delivering excellent customer service
- The annual calendar of special events, workshops and festivals
- The operation of the Garden Café, and catering for groups, weddings, and parties
- The Gift Shop
- School and youth programmes, environmental education, and education for sustainability for all ages
- Opportunities for reflection and meditation; volunteering and community involvement
- Corporate events and room rentals
- Fund-raising and grant applications
- Managing financial systems and reporting, developing and achieving budgets. Working with the book-keeper and accountant; reporting to the Board of Trustees.
- Leading marketing and sales to deliver lively and innovative marketing and sales strategies for all income streams, including e-marketing and social media; B-to-B and B-to-C marketing and sales; PR and promotions; fund-raising through grant applications and from donors.
- Building community links and business partnerships.
- Leading the staff team. This currently includes employees and Community Employment personnel, with interns, students and volunteers, in the following areas: Office, reception & Gift Shop; Café; Education; Garden.
- Ensuring efficient administration and operation of procedures.
- Managing the maintenance of the Celtic Gardens, habitats and buildings, ensuring they are maintained to a high standard for visitors while fulfilling our aims around nature conservation and sustainability.
What qualities and experience are required?
We are looking for someone who is excited by this opportunity and by Brigit’s Garden, with a strong desire to see the project grow, expand and flourish. Brigit’s Garden needs someone with the experience and skills to grow the profitability of the project within the existing ethos, while leading and inspiring the staff team. Brigit’s Garden is very customer-focused with a loyal customer base, and the Operations Director will have a strong commitment to excellent customer service and to building the Brigit’s Garden community.
Applicants should demonstrate:
- Proven experience in management in a relevant business, including financial management and management of staff
- Ability to provide a high degree of leadership and communication in a team setting; to be supportive and caring of staff, volunteers and visitors
- An understanding of and interest in Brigit’s Garden and the environment
- Ability to think strategically as well as manage operational matters efficiently and profitably
- Achievement of targets and budgets
- Proven experience in marketing and sales
- Commitment to customer service and visitor satisfaction
- A high level of energy, enthusiasm, flexibility and patience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Understanding of the specific challenges of working in a not-for-profit organisation
- Understanding of statutory and charity compliance
What Qualifications are required?
Essential: a minimum of 5 years management experience in a relevant area.
Desirable: Qualifications in Business Management/ Sales/ Marketing.
What are the pay and conditions?
The remuneration package will consist of €45,000 plus an attractive target-related incentive scheme.
Application and appointment procedure
Please download and fill in this Application Form and email it to the Chairperson of the Board of Trustees at: email@example.com by 5 pm on Monday 13th November 2017. A shortlist of candidates will then be drawn up and interviews are provisionally scheduled to take place on 23rd/24th November 2017.
The following food will be provided during the festival:
At the Garden Café
Friday 5.00pm - 9.00pm
Saturday 8.00a.m to 8.00pm
Sunday 8.00 - 6.00pm
Friday til 10.00pm
Saturday til 11.00pm
Sunday til close
At our Garden BBQ
Saturday 12.00- 8.00pm
At the Food Stalls
Saturday 12.00 - 8.00pm
Sunday 12.00 - 4.00pm
The Garden Café will serve
Breakfast includes a buffet bar with cereals, bacon/sausage rolls, croissants etc.
Lunch & Dinner is a delicious range of hot food, salads and kids’ options and drinks include a selection of herbal teas, coffee, wine, craft beers and minerals.
There will also be a range of home-baking and other treats in store for your delight
The Garden BBQ will be sizzling sausages and burgers with all the trimmings and the Food Stalls will be serving a variety of foods from Asian street food, baked potato, pizza, chips to delicious artisan ice-cream.
Driving along the N59 from Galway city you will pass through a small town called Moycullen. Follow the festival traffic signs.
A few kilometres after this you will reach the small village of Roscahill. You will then see a brown heritage signpost on the left hand side of the road with Brigit's Garden name on it pointing to Turn Right. Take this right and the entrance to Brigit's Garden is on the left approximately 2km from this turn (after the community centre and church on the left hand-side).
For those using GPS or Google Maps, they may direct you turn right at Connemara Motors but it is more efficient if you continue onwards with the festival traffic signs.
GPS Coordinates for Brigit's Garden:N: 53.38558 W: 9.2131
Please pay attention to the signs for the overnight carpark and day carpark during this event.
Accommodation Close by
(for Friday and/or Saturday night)
In Roscahill Co. Galway- 5 mins drive from Brigit's Garden
Rockfield House B&B, www.connemara-galway.net 091 555586
In Oughterard, Co. Galway: 10 mins drive from Brigit's Garden
Camillaun Lodge, www.camillaun.com 091 552678
The Boat Inn, www.theboatinn.ie 091 552196 (family rooms from €78)
Ross Lake House Hotel, www.rosslakehotel.com, 091 550109
The Connemara Lake Hotel www.theconnemaralakehotel.com 091 866016
Oughterard Hostel www.oughterardhostel.com 091 552388
Overnight for Campervans, contact Dessie Walsh in Oughterard, €10 per van, firstname.lastname@example.org 085 2899391
Oughterard Hostel www.oughterardhostel.com 091 552388
Salthill Caravan Park ; Salthill, Galway City, County Galway
Tel: 091 523972; 086 8175551 Email: email@example.com
Spiddal Mobile Home Park www.spiddalmobilehomes.ie Tel: 091 553372, Mob: 087 7607698 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
There is plenty of other accommodation listed at www.discoverireland.ie Follow links for accommodation and search for Moycullen or Oughterard
Please spread the word, follow us on Facebook and Twitter!! Book your tickets early to avoid disappointment!
Slán go fóill :)*